Pre-hung door question (Triming a wide jamb into a 3-1/4" wall)

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mobtek

I need to replace at least one interior door in a house I am refurbishing. If I get a mobile home door, it's $100 or so. At Home Depot I can get a pre-hung door for about $75, but it is a 4-9/16 jamb, and of course I have 3-1/4" walls.

I believe that I read somewhere on this site that someone had considered using a similar house type door, and their solution, rather than trying to cut down the jamb to proper width, was to just run the trim outside the jamb.

That sounded like a pretty good idea. Has anyone actually done it? I would love to see it if you have.

It seems like it would just add another layer to the trim and look fine if done correctly.

I am ok with thinking outside the box! (I'm not even sure I know what it looks like "inside the box") :lol:
1989 Fuqua SW
mobtek

Maybe if the trim around the door was not as wide as regular door trim it would hide it a bit?
1989 Fuqua SW
OR_Flipper

We're about to replace an exterior door on a single-wide that has a jamb that is too large. Previous owner installed trim outside the jamb (as previous poster recommended) - picture shows what it looks like before the replacement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mobtek

Thanks for the pic.
1989 Fuqua SW