What Could be Causing this Staining on Ceiling?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

NinaS

A little over a year ago, I noticed these dark spots radiating out from our kitchen light panels. We thought it was a moisture condensation problem inside of the ceiling bc we were able to ascertain that there was no leak there. We did think it a little odd that it only showed up at that spot. So we had a ridgevent installed. We then Kilzed and painted the ceiling there.

Now, a little over a month ago, I started to see the same spots showing through again. Still nowhere else in the house, just around these light fixtures. What could be the cause and the solution here?
imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-ocmZ77AdWea1cf.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-vqfHkxaqBsdNX.jpg
the image quality here isn't the greatest, the discoloration was just black in reality, no brown or reddish colors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

You have a leak someplace. It could be a roof leak or possibly where the wall & roof meet. Possibly drop the light down and see if you can get a look, Get up on the roof and take a CLOSE look also at the edge where the roof & wall meet.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
NinaS

we took the light down last year when this initially occurred. we actually left it down for a few days so that i could check it several times. I checked it during a rain storm and then checked it again while holding the hose over that area on the roof. We never saw water coming in or wet beams or wet insulation. Last week the metal roof install was finished with a ridgevent. But it still seems like these spots are starting to get darker again daily.
Greg

Check the light, I have seen fluorescent ballasts give a black "smoke trail" before. I'm not saying that is what is causing it, but if you have dropped the light and everything is dry it is a possibility that the light it's self is the source.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mark440

I have a similar issue at the ceiling where a trim board covers the marriage seam. There is zero moisture - so i can only assume it is dirty air being pulled in when the AC runs.
Opportunity has a shelf life.
NinaS

thanks, that's a good idea to check out! Husband has kinda wanted to replace those lights with something better anyway, so maybe we just need to do that.