Permanent Foundation vs. Addiontial Perimeter Blocking

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

lisamaechilders

Very basic question about adding perimeter blocking to a single wide. Does this mean to add concrete stacked blocks, like a wall, under the edge? Or does this mean to add additional pier supports under the edge, like the existing center support piers?

I see discussions that talk about "ADDITIONAL PERIMETER BLOCKING" and then others that say "PERMANENT FOUNDATION".

Permanent Foundation
is pretty self explanatory. It would be a foundation of stacked masonry blocks laid on a footer or poured concrete footer. Like the foundation of a stick built house. No problem.... understood.

Additional Perimeter Blocking. This is the one that seems ambiguous to me. Does this mean to install additional piers around the perimeter in like manner to the center support piers? If so, the frame would rest on the center of the pier as the I-Beam rests on the center of its pier. If so, how does the perimeter maintain the smooth continuous surface for Skirting / Underpinning? Any kind of "pier" system made of concrete blocks or triangular looking jacks or anything similar would protrude past the perimeter of the footprint. Or does this mean to lay a block wall on a footer only in certain places, such as the corners (obviously) and intervals along the length? If so, that seems a ridiculous waste of time, effort, and money when a complete permanent foundation could be laid.

Am I understanding the above described difference correctly? I guess I don't see the point of adding extra "supports" or "piers" around the perimeter when it will effect the continuous surface of the skirting. I mean the purpose of adding the support is for renovations. If I'm going to renovate a mobile home, I'm not going to want the exterior to look stupid!

Am I missing something very simple here or overthinking it? LOL
Greg

Perimeter "support" is what ever you need. In the cold regions where the ground freezes you want below the frost line footers for support that does not shift in freezing weather. What you are looking for is added support to carry the load that is being transferred to the floor joists outside of the frame rail. Excessive weight WILL bow the joists down over time. You can build it any way that works for you.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."