Flooring suggestions - dog/scratch resistant

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mobtek

I am considering the purchase of another (1999) double-wide that needs a complete refurb.

We have 4 dogs and want something that will hold up well.

In my current single-wide I actually bought rolls of 1/4" rubber gym flooring and installed it throughout the house. It has been really great as far as durability. I know it is a weird choice but we like it enough that we are considering using it again.

However, what heavy duty dog resistant flooring can anyone recommend? I like the look of laminate or luxury vinyl, but have never used it.

Suggestions?
1989 Fuqua SW
Mark440

I put down the laminate stuff in one room that I made into an "office". It has held up well to the dogs (3 black labs) - but (there is always a but! )

Pretty much all I had read said to run the planks towards the light (window). So i did. BIG mistake! Because the floor joists run the same direction, the laminate has heaved and ho'd in a manner that has left several areas with a bald spot where pieces come together. In two places - the stuff just tore off leaving a raw pressed board look.

The only other thing I have noticed is that while the laminate is much easier to keep clean - my older dog is starting to have a difficult time getting up after laying on it.

FWIW - I am looking to tear out all the carpet and replace with either laminate or rubber....and i am leaning towards the rubber tiles.
Opportunity has a shelf life.
mobtek

Thanks!

I recently came across "DIY Brown Paper Flooring" on youtube. It looks incredible, is SUPER cheap, and very tough.

I think we are going to give it a try. I will post if we do it.
1989 Fuqua SW