How important are OUTRIGGERS on a manufactured home?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

samantha_dahman

I had a brand new 2020 manufactured home move on my property but before they got it there, they drove the back side down into the ditch on a dirt road causing 3 of the last outriggers to bend. It bent the tongue as well. As a new home owner i was wondering how important these outriggers are to the structure of my home?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

Contact the dealer and let them know what happened, If they were also the delivery & setup then they need to fix it. If it was an independent company that did the damage they need to fix it. Either way get the dealer involved. If you get a run a round from them go to the manufacturer.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
samantha_dahman

It was done by the dealers setup crew and i have sent her pictures of the damage. She told me they could just be cut off and they wouldnt matter once the house was setup on blocks. She said the only purpose they serve is when the trailer is being moved. That means i could NEVER move the house right? I thought that outriggers were for wall support too?? My shower and tub is right above those bent outriggers. Just found out the factory that built it literally just shut down this week due to covid19.
Mark440

I would let miss dealer know she is full of it. The outriggers provide critical support to outside walls. Yes, there are floor joist that span from one side to the other (across the main I-beams) - but the outriggers serve to stabilize all of that.

make 'em fix it, replace it - or take it back. doing nothing should NOT be an option.
Opportunity has a shelf life.
Greg

Ask to see her HUD manufactured home credentials (Specifically manufactured home mechanic) . Then call the manufacturer.
They are there to provide support to the walls witch in turn support the roof.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."