Recommendation, please, for washer dryer combo or stacked

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

plumducky

Looking for the largest capacity (cubic feet) washer/dryer combo unit, or stacked unit, or stackable units, but needs to be less than 27 inches wide.

All the ones I've seen so far, less than 27 inches wide, are approximately 24 inches wide, but I'm hoping to find one larger than the usual 1.5 cubic feet I've seen with all the 24 inchers.

Finding more cubic feet in a 24 incher top & bottom stacked unit doesn't look too promising so far, but I have seen some combo units that are a washer & dryer (front loading) all in one cabinet (the drum/tumbler that washes, also drys the clothes. The only negative I see with the ones I've found so far (the all-in-one combo units) is the long cycles (one for example was four hours per load (to wash & dry). That (the four hours wash/dry cycle was for an Ariston unit of 1.9 cubic feet capacity.

Was hoping there might be some cycle times that are compatible with cycle times of the traditional separate units?

I live in Fairfield, Ohio, 45014. Would prefer a brick & mortar retailer, but would consider buying online if anyone has had a good experience with a particular brand.

Sure appreciate any help...
kashton

I'm not one who spends allot of time looking, but I like the LG front load, large capacity, that you can also stack( with the purchase of the base.) I don't know the cube on it, but NICE set, and they don't seem to have any problems that I know of.

If it to fit in a mobile, the LG would fit in mine stacked.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
Maureen

Hi plumducky, welcome to the forum!

When we moved out of our stick built 12 years ago, we left our washer and dryer behind. We had to move into a single wide for a year until we found this place. The laundry room was tiny! We bought a whirlpool unit that was either stackable or could be used side by side. It worked great for many years! The wash loads are smaller. There is no getting around that, you can only fit so much in a smaller washer and dryer. But, the loads didn't take 4 hours to wash and dry! They took as long as a standard washer and dryer!

Heck, we're still using the dryer, and it works like a champ! The washer gave out a few years ago. Another plus for us at the time is that the dyer is electric. A few years ago electric was cheaper than then gas. On the other hand, I'm old, and old fashioned and like hanging clothes out on the clothes line to dry. I guess that makes me old... and green and these days! Our breezes dry the heaviest jeans in just 2 hours!

Maureen
8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
plumducky

Thanks very much, Kashton, for your reply.

Not following you exactly, sorry. Are you recommending an LG large capacity front load that is approximately 24 inches wide, or are you talking about the larger widths (like 27 inches).

You're not talking about an-in-one unit then, but a separate front load washer that can be stacked with a 24 inch wide dryer?

If you have one of these (a 24 inch wide unit), please tell me what model.
plumducky

If you do have one Kashton, please tell me how long your cycle times are...

Thx very much, PlumDucky
plumducky

Thanks for the welcome, Maureen :)

Your point is well-taken (the cycle times! I was just reading that all the cycle times for the all-in-one front loaders are long (for the 24 inch wide type, that is), so I reckon I'll have to widen the closet for the stacked units that are 27 inches wide, or make do with the capacity of the 24 inch wide stacked units.

Glad you mentioned Whirlpool, too. My parents have an "ancient" set :); traditional separates, that are still going strong. Will definitely start looking for Whirlpool first.

Thx, so much!
kashton

I don't have the paper from the set I had ordered. I got mad at "The Brick" and cancelled them, but they had to have been 24" to fit in my laundry room.

They do have the choice of sided by side, or you can stack. You can get the base(or pedestal that raises them up a bit(and the pedestal is also a drawer.) Both washer and dryer are front load, and I was promised they had the same cycle times as the other washer, and dryers.

I will check for my papers.
klm9707

I bought a Whirlpool Duet sport set a year ago. It has the front loading washer. They can be placed side by side or stacked. I had them stacked for a while then put them side by side. They work real well but the washer shakes so bad that it worries me that I am going to destroy my home. It even walks across the floor at times. It spins so well that the dry time is cut way down but I am concerned about the horrible shaking. When I bought them I asked if they could be placed in a manufactured home and stacked and was told yes, but I only recommend them for a concrete floor. I was going to buy LG at the time but was concerned about repairs. The stores were telling me that almost anyone would service them so I started calling and asking repair men if they would service them and I got a firm "no" every time. They said that LG is to new in the US and that most repair men did not have the proper tools the service them. I live in northwest PA. It may be dif. in your area. My friend has the stacked (all one piece from Sears) and loves it. Do as much research as possible so you dont have the problems I have had. Good luck with your purchase. :D
kashton

LG is big here. Even my cell phone is LG.
http://www.lge.com/products/main.jhtml
plumducky

Thx much for the link, Kashton, will check it out.
plumducky

Klm, your points are well taken, indeed! I will continue to research the Whirlpools, and others as well.

Thx so much for your reply.

The search goes on...:)
altasnowman

Hi and Welcome plumducky,
we also have a LG front loader and it is 231/2 wide. it will do 12 pairs of jeans and the model# is HD-1274FH13. we purchased this unit 3 years ago from a dealer that places appliances in show homes so we got a heck of a deal on this unit. My parents moved in to a double wide last year and they went to same dealer and purchased a new set (Inglis) they paid approx $1200 for the set.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
plumducky

Hi Altasnowman,

Thanks very much for your reply.

I went to the LG website and the only model no. I could find similar to the one you posted, was: WD-1274FHB , found at:

http://www.lge.com/products/model/detai ... 4FHB.jhtml
(sorry, I couldn't get the URL tags to work)

Maybe that's the current model no. for the one you have?

You said you've had yours for three years I - any problems with it?

Please tell me about your cycle times - are they any different from regular, traditional top loaders?

Sure grateful for any help...
altasnowman

Hi plumducky,
Yes that is the model we have. the only problem we have had was a shock problem and that was covered by warranty. It takes about 1hr &23min for cotton,permapress 1hr &14min, delicate is 55min, wool &silk 55min, hand wash 55min, whites 1hr &10 min. altho it seems like it takes longer our water bill dropped by half and depending on the spin speed we have noticed that the dryer has less work to do.Also noticed a drop in our power bill,and oh yes our dryer is still a full sized dryer that is about 8 years old. my better half wants to replace the dryer,but this one ain't broke yet , guess she will have to wait a while.LOL. hope this helps.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
plumducky

It sure does help, Altasnowman - can't thank you (and all the others thus far) enough.