Replacing Piers on 1973 Mobile Home

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Justgettingby

Hello,

I recently bought a mobile home a year ago which I do live in. I did notice that it does seem unleveled so I just recently got someone to come out and level it for me but the person who came out to level it for me says I need to replace all the piers. giving me a cost estimate about $4,000 so unfortunately he didn't level my house for me.

So my question is this, Is it necessary to replace all my piers, I honestly don't know if this guy was being honest or not. he did take some pictures of my mobile home underneath but the pictures he took weren't really that great. I can show you what the piers look like if I could find out how to post pictures on here.
Greg

Without pictures it is impossible to say.

To add pictures use the "full editor" and add the files. you may have to resize them if they are too large.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Justgettingby

I feel he did not take better pictures of the crawl space. I paid for charged them to come out and inspect. He went over a few pictures with me, the ones attached, and he said they are still inspecting and he will send me the rest thru email when they complete the inspection. He did say that it is missing 3 or 4 piers and one is pier is not supporting a beam, which you can view in picture. I understand yes this need to be fix. I dont understand why 28 piers need to be replaced. Without better pictures i feel doubtful about replacing 28 of them.
20200409_182431-COLLAGE.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark440

I'm not gonna say the guy was a scammer - but as long as the piers are not cracked or broken - they should be good to use. There is one pic where several 'spacers' are stacked on top of the pier - which i would not want to do. Flat concrete blocks can be added to the bottom to lift the pier up so that all is needed is a piece of 2x6 and wedges.
Opportunity has a shelf life.
Greg

I personally don't like that (pointed) style of pier, I would rather have a full block. An inspection should only take an hour or two to do (plus travel time to be fair)
I would say 6 hrs should be plenty of time the change & relevel ALL of the piers, unless they are adding a tie down system.

The problem you may have is that there are few people willing to do the job and probably fewer that do the job the right way so they can usually name their price. Contact a few home movers in your area and see if they can give you some names.

Here is the link to HUD foundation requirements.

https://www.huduser.gov/portal/Publicat ... _guide.pdf

Greg
Justgettingby

Okay Guys Thanks for your input. I am gonna go ahead and call 2 more locals to inspect and I will go from there.

The place that i hired to inspect was only here no more than 20 minutes. They post on there website that they take pictures too and obviously they did not do a great job taking pictures, I expected better feedback. I paid money to have this inspection. Maybe they were intimidated by me because I am a lady lol ... Hahaha Just a casual joke.
Welp I will let yall know in the coming weeks what I will do. I just don't have 4k to get it fixed. Im going to need a new A/C Unit too, that is priority, urgent, I am in Phoenix and its Hell Hot Here.

Anyways I thank yall for your feedback, stay safe. 🙂
Greg

The fact that you are a woman may be part of the $4k price. SOME people would count on you just saying fix it and not asking any questions and even offer to drive you to the bank to get their money. A couple more estimates will tell the whole story.

Greg