disconnected flex duct to plenum

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mackendw

Have an older mobile unit. Single wide with florida room addition. The main supply air flex duct came off the plenum run. It connects to the duct from the bottom. I used a snake cam to find where it attaches. Can these be put on from the top side in a room? I ask as the room it's in is being renovated. We'll be taking the floor, sub-flloor up. There is black heavy felt like paper on under the insulation. If I remove a square of that carefully will that give me enough room to reach down to re-attach it?
Greg

Usually from the bottom, but you may get lucky. If the sub floor is open anyway I would try it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mackendw

Yep, the flex tube had split open...the wire is still in tact....what's the best method of fixing this? put a metal junction in and slide the 2 split ends onto each end and duct tape it?
Mark440

I am assuming there is a 90° turn to connect to the plenum.

Flex duct always has the tendency to kink with any short radius bend. I think I would consider using a metal elbow to connect to the plenum, and then add a 5ft straight piece to compensate for the flex that needs to be cut away. Hopefully you will have enough access to accomplish.
Opportunity has a shelf life.
mackendw

damage was definitely done by a possum. the black exterior bag was torn to shreds. you could see where the critter was scratching it apart. to boot, we got a torrential downpour today and there was 8" of water under where the duct is sitting. had to wet vac that out most of the day...fun..

think I'm going to replace the run from the AC unit to the plenum and bite the bullet now that I have the floor opened up. this time it will be propped up off the ground and not left on the ground.