1989 Champion, entrance door issue, need advice

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

hotrod53

I have this mobile as a mountain camp, the home sits on concrete block pillars with 12x12 timbers front to back. The home is stable, but for a long time my entrance door is racked and drags the carpet. Recently I see that the plastic covering of the front door is coming loose from the framing and the door will need to be replaced.

Looking from the front, my entrance door and my screen door are out of square about 1" as compared to the frame. I'm guessing that if I remove the door from the framing, there won't be 1" of available adjustment. The may be a noob question, but how do I resolve this?

Here's my guess, and please offer your advice. If I make a new pier and jack up the frame under the drooping right side, it may rack the doorframe back straight? To give more detail, the door opens right to left, the right side is 1" low. The screen door opens out and barely latches and the entrance door opens in and drags the right side across the carpet, the left side clear side as intended.

Because the covering is coming loose from the internal door framing, I'd like to resolve this issue once and for all. I'd really appreciate your advice.
Greg

The first thing you need to do is check & relevel the home with a water level on the frame. I would bet that the home has settled and is in serious need of releveling.

You may find that the door will need to be replaced, metal doors are not that expensive.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
hotrod53

I wouldn't doubt that leveling should be checked. I had a guy put the pillars and timbers in a few years back, I had the door issue from day one. I had him back to recheck it and it didn't get any better.

I replaced the back door a few years ago when the wood frame rotted on the bottom. This front door is the same, a wooden frame with some sort of a plastic or Formica covering. The back door had what looked like cardboard inside of it. It wasn't terribly expensive and it was a real easy job to replace, but it was square.
Greg

Perhaps you should do a total inspection and determine if the home is worth putting much money into. As I said it sounds like at the very least it needs releveling.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."