Hello and siding/window questions

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

therealhotrod

Hello. we have bought a 1973 rollo homes mobile home. it has no fewer than 22 windows, all single pane, and we live in the canadian province of the upper peninsula of michigan at the top of lake michigan, so this of coarse makes for a very cold house, and the light isn't strictly necessary. I want to replace the windows with double pane windows and splice in new full length pieces of siding if possible.

Does anyone know where I might find this siding? I've looked some, but can't find anything. These windows are an odd size for a hardware store window to replace them, where can I get good double pane windows without having to buy custom size windows?
Greg

When I did our's I just bought stock size windows from Lowes & Home Depot. I will tell you that windows are NOT the place to cheap out, you get what you pay for. I'm not saying pay $600 a window but don't buy a $75 window. I was around $200 for Pella ( not impressed with their quality) they are almost 20 yrs old and don't seal the best. I have replaced 2 with Andersen great windows.

Plan on having to do window frame repairs when you pull the old windows out due to rot, so at that point changing size is really not a problem.

For siding I will tell you that you have a better chance of winning the lottery and buying new siding than matching what you have.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
therealhotrod

I planned on getting about $200 a window windows. fortunately this isn't my first time doing windows. I was hoping to find siding so I could not only cover up the old windows, but also the windows in this trailer are 3,4, and 5 in a row all butted up against each other, so changing the window size wouldn't necessarily be easy without having some siding. I guess that leaves me two options. Leave the windows in place and insulate and wall over them from the inside or side the ends in a different but similar siding and use the leftover pieces and patch them together and cover as many of the rest of the windows as possible. I really don't want to re side the whole house, I would rather spend the money on insulation.

On another note, do you have any idea what this would be? it's not a water heater or furnace.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.