newbie question on exterior panel replacement...

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

glennsweet

Hello all!
I have a 1979 Golden West Somerset with some water damage to exterior walls from age and rains. I would like to replace these panels and I am wondering if there are guides/videos on replacing these vertical panels myself?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark440

the stuff i used was SmartSide from HD. Of course, HD gouges every dime they can get ! :)

Removal and replacement is kinda/sorta straight forward - but be ready to go a bit further than just replacing the panels. From the pics - you would have to remove the trim boards, and if there has been water damage - there is a good chance the insulation behind the panel will be no good. Also, check the wall studs for rot.

Now the bad news.....
Those trim boards are probably cut from SmartSide board (without the groves in it). I believe it is sold as "soffit". But! you can take a piece of the regular siding panel and rip it length ways between the grooves. Depending on the # of pieces needed - it may or may not be cost effective.

The SmartSide is already primed - but you will need to prime any cut edges.
Opportunity has a shelf life.
glennsweet

....what do you think of Hardyboard? To heavy?
Mark440

I've never used it before. My position is whatever gets the job done the easiest, the fastest, and the cheapest. Hence, I am lazy and cheap! LOL
Opportunity has a shelf life.
glennsweet

lolol! Very good position to have! Thanks for your advice...
Greg

This is one of those cases that you can take as far as you want. You could go to vinyl siding since the odds of matching the existing siding on a home that old is close to zero.
And as long as you are at it, you could add an overhang to the roof with soffits (that would help prevent future water damage). It all comes down to how much you want to do.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
glennsweet

... I thing the extended overhang (I will be doing a new roof this spring) would be an excellent idea. I am 68 and want to make sure these fixes last past me....