General plumbing questions

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mobtek

I have a 1989 Single Wide 16x76. It is plumbed with PB grey pipe. :(

I've only had 1 leak spring up, and luckily it was under the house.

At some point I may decide to try and re-plumb with PEX, and do it myself.

What I am wondering is what is the basic layout of the plumbing (your best guess)? Do I have a couple of main lines running up the center that feeds lines branching off from there? Do I have to remove the entire belly wrap to redo the plumbing? How hard is removing/replacing the belly wrap (if that is what I have to do)? Is there a way to attach new PEX and use the "pulling out" of the PB to pull the PEX into place? Any good threads on doing the job? Any suggestions?

It's just a thought for now - and not a happy one.

Thanks!
1989 Fuqua SW
Greg

You can attach new pex and pull it through, just like you can win the $150 mil. lottery and the odds are about the same.
The lines usually run up the middle of the home with the heat ducts to keep them warm in cold weather. You may be able to make a few well placed slices in the underbelly and work through them.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mobtek

Greg wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:52 am You can attach new pex and pull it through, just like you can win the $150 mil. lottery and the odds are about the same...
:lol: :lol:
1989 Fuqua SW
mobtek

Is this a really tough job? I am able to do most of my own work, but I'm also realistic. Sometimes the best tool for a repair can be the checkbook. But if there is any chance that it is something I can tackle, I will go for it.

I have to install another shower next week so I will crawl around and see what it looks like.

Would love to hear from those who have done this.
1989 Fuqua SW
Greg

It is not a really tough job, but you WILL have to crawl around under the home. Plan on getting at least dripped on since you will be working under the pipes.
Make sure you have the proper PEX tools to make your connections. DO NOT use the push lock type connectors in areas that are out of sight, I have had them leak.
You can use a Manifold type system that uses two main lines and you attach a manifold for the individual runs to faucets etc.

https://www.thebalancesmb.com/pex-plumb ... ion-844765

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mobtek

Ok - luckily my home is up in the air a bit, and sitting on a road base pad, so not too scary under there.

This may sound like a dumb question - sorry. Can the re-pipe be done under the belly wrap, and then just insulate the pipes themselves (and attach them)? I'm in texas and we dont get a lot of freezing weather where I am at.

Not trying to be cheap or anything. Just asking if this is a horrible idea...?

Oh - and thanks for pointing out the manifold idea.
1989 Fuqua SW
Mark440

When i gutted the belly - I found the piping was (for the most part) not suspended from the floor joists. it was mostly just left laying on top of the belly. I see it as a staggering display of the penny-pinching cheap methods used to assemble these homes. For instance, my shower heads were somewhat screwed to a wall stud with a drywall screw. It wasn't tightened down - just kind of dangling. yes, eventually the elbow broke and flooded the wall cavity with water.

In any case - this should make it easier to remove the old piping - but you will still have to open up the belly in places to cut the pipe - AND - let the water drain out rather than into the insulation. In some cases it may be better to just leave the old pipe rather than open up additional holes in the belly. ANY weakness in the belly is a point of potential access for these north texas critters! :)

The new piping can be insulated and left outside the belly - provided the critters haven't made their way in. They will feast on that foam rubber insulation like cheese cake!
Opportunity has a shelf life.
mobtek

Is there any tape that works well to re-seal the belly wrap where it gets cut?

Also, (with PEX) is crimp the way to go? Or should I buy the $$$ expander tool and go that way?
1989 Fuqua SW
Mark440

I believe that any of the tapes are possessed by some sort of evil deity. If you need the tape to stick and stay put - it will peel itself off as soon as you aren't looking. OTOH, if you need to undo a taped area - there is no way the stuff will peel off in any manner that resembles sanity. :D

When I bought this place - my first trip down under revealed several places where holes had been taped - and the tape failed. That said - and based on other neanderthal repairs made by the previous owner - the areas most probably were not prepped in any manner. For the most part - the tape isn't going to stick to a surface covered in dirt, dust, muck and yuck.

OTOH - I used a spreadable contact cement I got at big orange. Came in a gallon bucket. You apply it to the area to be patched - and also to the patching material. Let it dry for a couple minutes then stick them together. It has worked like a champ for years.
Opportunity has a shelf life.