Removing the seem strips on the walls

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

J_SEPH0729

I think I read somewhere that once those were gone, exposing the gap between the pieces of sheetrock that you could fill that gap. Seems like I read you could get paintable caulk, fill the gap and smooth it out flush with wall then paint without showing a seam. Does that or will that work or should I break down and get some joint compound, paper tape and just do it like regular sheetrock and sand it and the whole 9 yards?
Greg

Yes you can fill the seams, however if you are in an area that freezes and you are not on below the frost line footers you may have cracking.

The other problem is if you have textured vinyl wall board is that the seams will be smooth and the wall will be textured so you would need a textured paint ot skim coat the whole wall.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
J_SEPH0729

Greg wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:09 pm Yes you can fill the seams, however if you are in an area that freezes and you are not on below the frost line footers you may have cracking.

The other problem is if you have textured vinyl wall board is that the seams will be smooth and the wall will be textured so you would need a textured paint ot skim coat the whole wall.

Greg
We are in Georgia, and walls are just sheetrock that has the decorative paper over them. They have been painted once. I just wanted those ugly strips off the wall and I despise doing sheetrock work LoL