Fixing a Hole in the Wall

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

BobGreene

Hello, this is my first post on the forums. I'm repairing a hole in the wall of a bedroom in my trailer. It's the old kind of trailer with those panel walls that I think are called VOG panels. My girlfriend had some extra drywall laying around her house and I hoped I could use it to repair this hole but after I installed it using the method in this video:
How to Repair Drywall - How to Fix a Hole in the Wall, I discovered the drywall I'm trying to use is too thick. Can someone point me in the right direction for what kind of drywall/sheetrock I want to use for this repair?

Here's what the hole looked like:

Here's the repair:

The picture doesn't show it well, but the drywall is quite a bit thicker and protrudes out past the wall. Any ideas the best way to move forward here? I would like the wall to all be flush before I add the joint compound.

And of course, the customary song to sing while doing such work:
Fixing a Hole - The Beatles
Last edited by BobGreene on Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

Most home centers have 3/8" drywall, most likely what you have.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
BobGreene

Thank you Greg! I didn't consider the drywall I was gifted would be too thick for these walls. It wasn't by much either, but enough to be a problem. I lucked out though and founds a spare panel in the utility room that's papered with the same design as the walls in this room so I cut a piece to fit the hole:

I'm not ready to paint this wall atm, but even as it is here, it's a lot better than it was. I found a couple helpful videos on youtube of how to paint over VOG panels like these. Here's one of them (it's part 1 in a series):

Paint Over VOG Panels

Basically stating that you need a paint with texture to grab on to the vinyl surface of the walls, or an oil-based prime, or both.