Concerned about asbestos in a 1973 mobile home

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

dodgeetruckk

Does anyone know what year they stopped putting asbestos in mobile homes? On the EPA website it says this : "Asbestos-containing material is another common hazardous material potentially found in homes constructed prior to the 1970s"
Does that mean before 1970 or 1979? It says 1970s?

I'm a bit concerned because for the past year a family member and I have been fixing a 1973-74 mobile home. We replaced all the walls. He ripped down all the ceilings and a few days ago we ripped up the vinyl flooring in the kitchen and bathroom. Needles to say the vinyl flooring didn't come up to good and left behind a lot of the grey fiber backing on the floor. We also basically just tried ripping it up dry and scrapping it up with a floor scraper. Also concerned about the ceiling which was a thick cardboard fiber material. I have asked many times if any of this stuff has asbestos and always get the answer no they haven't used that stuff since the 60's. Now after looking online I'm kinda freaked out as we were only wearing white dust masks. Kind of late to test this stuff? as we already went full bore into it
Greg

I don't think there were any mobile home specific items that did or didn't have asbestos. You can find test kits at many home centers to find out for sure. Personally I don't feel that asbestos it the quantity that the average home owner would encounter is as big of a health risk (with proper safety equipment) as black mold. use you head and if you feel it is too much for you check with the pros.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."