Mushroom Vent Caps

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

SharonTod

We have a 1973 MH. It is a summer home in northern Minnesota. Maybe use it one time in the winter. We want to put a steel roof on. I have attached a picture of the roof. The roof is 12X40. The roof has 6 mushroom caps we are assuming for venting purpose. There are also 3 pipes that we think are for sewer. We are wondering if we can remove some of the mushroom caps as it would make putting the roof on easier. Since it is only used in the summer and maybe 1 time in the winter would it be OK to get rid of some? If so how many do you think we can get rid of and which ones.

Thanks,
Sharon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

Obviously you will need to extend the plumbing vents through the new roof. If you are planning on adding a slight peak you can leave the mushroom vents and vent through the ridge. You can also add a soffit and vent through that.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
SharonTod

I would like to remove most of the mushroom vents. Why does my mobile home have 6 and others only have 1. What would happened if I removed 5 of the 6 mushroom vents?
Thanks
Greg

It's all about ventilation. Some homes don't have any vents at all. If they are there I would try to maintain them to some degree under the new roof.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."