Damage caused by leaking water lines

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

altasnowman

Hi all
Firstly I hope this works as i have never tried to put pics into a post. these are just a few pics of water damage done to underside of home(not mine) after lines burst for the 4Th time. this leak went unnoticed for approx 10 days and is in hot water line. pics show mold and repaired lines white is pex and is hot water side,grey is cold water side,and is not pex. The hot line has been replaced 4 times,3 before i got involved and it has cost the owner for the previous 3 times in excess of $5000 for new tank and labor. Have more pics but not sure that this is going to work so Mark if you are looking at this HELP. :? :?

The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
Greg

The damage does not look all that bad to me, I cannot tell how much damage was done to the floor from the picture though.
As long the belly is open you may as well do it right and replace it all with PEX. If $5000 has already been spent they may as well spend the little more and do it right. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
altasnowman

Sorry have not got all pics up yet. Floor does not look bad other than mold starting but inside of home floor has started to delaminate and now has about a 3-4 inch hump in floor running from bathroom to hot water tank area. from the looks of things a 4 foot section of floor will be replaced by width of trailer. In so far as water lines go, I will be replacing the main line from hotwater tank to service all areas affected by damage.cold line seem to be ok so will leave it alone for time being.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
Greg

After 4 bursts I would be tempted to replace all of plumbing under the home as long as it is open. You are right, if the floor is coming apart, replace it now. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Maureen

I agree with Greg. It's a real shame that they've already spent that much, but the job needs to be dome correctly. Pex plumbing, new insulation down under, new sub floor and new flooring.

Their really aren't any short cuts for major water damage in our homes!

Maureen
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
altasnowman

Yes I agree with both Greg & Maureen. Unfortunately the person/company that did the original repair work saw them coming as when i saw the bill for the original work they were overcharged by about 800%. It's a shame that there is outfits out there that take advantage of people. Yes Greg i did talk to them and we are going to comprise on lines, going to split trailer in half and do front half now with floor replacement and next year replace back half.At least I will sleep better knowing that I won't have to go under trailer this winter when it is -40(lol fingers crossed). will get more pics as job progresses.