Water Hammer?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

AlabamaRealtor

Hi. When flushing the toilet in my kids bathroom you can hear a noise all the way through the house under the floor that sounds like copper pipes hitting or popping. I have researched this to find that it may be "Water Hammer". Does anyone know about this and how to fix the problem without being so expensive?

Thanks
Greg

Hi & welcome. Water hammer usually occurs when running water is shut off fast. one way that I know of to alleviate this is by adding a "T" at the end of the line by the faucet, use 2 of the sides of the "T" for you water, on the 3'rd side (facing up) leave about a foot of pipe with a cap on it. this will create an air chamber that acts like a shock absorber. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
altasnowman

Hello and welcome, Yes you have water hammer and yes it can be cured. Greg has given you one way of solving this problem. another way is available at most hardware stores in plumbing section and it looks like a long copper bulb. you attach this to a T and it also like Greg said works like a shock absorber. for any other problems or projects that you come across you might want to purchase Marks book on mobile home repairs. you can find this book in the link above.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......