Hook up a dishwasher in mobile home?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

suzy_dickson

We are going to replace a dishwasher in a mobile home remodel. And now the plan is to hook up the portable dishwasher we have to save some space. Yet, well, I'm not a plumber, but I don't want to pay one unless it's completely necessary.
The tricky part is that I won't be installing a garbage disposer. The dishwasher (it's SPT SD-9241W, in case that model is needed) will be located directly beside (to the left of) the kitchen sink. As far as I know, I'll need a branched tailpiece. The sink will be vented underneath the countertop - will this be adequate or will I need an air gap on the countertop? If yes, please elaborate on how this air gap is plumbed to the dwv system for the kitchen sink.

Also, I have a question. Is leaving the dishwasher hooked up with the water on for any length of time bad for the pipes or even the dishwasher itself? As for now we have quite good pressure, and I don't want to ruin this all during this remodel.

So thanks in advance!
Commodore house owner
Greg

I personally don't like the portable units. Floor space in mobiles are limited at best and I can't see taking up space with a dishwasher. As for the plumbing I suspect there are local codes that would answer that question. As far as leaving the water on it should be the same as a washing machine, as long as your hoses are in good shape there should be no problems.

It almost sounds like the "free" dishwasher my brother gave us. It only cost $2000 for new cabinets to fit it in and move the living room wall 18".

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
yakima4$

No air gap needed. Install hi loop drain. This will probably be addressed in the install instructions of the dishwasher or Google on line.
Branch waste tailpiece is needed for dishwasher drain (you are correct).
Existing auto vent under kitchen sink will take care of venting..

Ron