Junction box wiring above laundry

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Daniel-B

https://imgur.com/a/LbE3R2A

This link is all the same thing. It’s in the cabinet above my washer and dryer in my 1977 mobile home.

I took the plate that covered it off to see what it is. I think it looks like what the hideous light fixture in the living room ceiling is attached to, but my TV is in that corner so I can’t get back there to see without moving a lot of wires.

There’s a 120v outlet, a 240v outlet, a ceiling light and a switch in the direct vicinity of this junction that has 3 Romex cables all connected together.

Any suggestions as to how to utilize it? I don’t know if I need a light in the cabinet, but another option would be welcome.

Or is it some kind of access panel that I shouldn’t mess with?

Thanks!
Greg

It looks to me like a plane junction box. By code all junction boxes must remain accessible so that may explain the location..

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Daniel-B

So, what you’re saying is that I should leave it alone?

I have other challenges. Replacing the tape used to repair things made things worse.

Sigh.

Tomorrow, I’m taping the HVAC with actual HVAC tape. TAPE!!!

Thanks!
Greg

I would leave it, perhaps find a cover that blends in.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Daniel-B

I’m leaving it then.

Good advice is good.

Thanks!
mdnagel

I hate mystery wiring, but this looks like a factory job: the ground looks factory. Kind of looks like it was just for splicing wire runs, perhaps a standard production that meant to facilitate an optional device, a stub-in? One shoudln't, however, look to use this for some device without ensuring that the box is amply anchored (to support attached weight). Unless I'm 100% positive on any wiring I'll defer to a professional: I've worked with professionals, so I've got a little experience (enough to deploy for my purposes only).