What is this called?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Post Reply
User avatar
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:12 am

Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:05 pm

I am trying to install a new lighting fixture on the front porch. There is a recess with this thing bolted in that was holding the old light fixture. I took it out and need to buy another one for the new fixture. Can anyone tell me what this thing is called and where can I buy another one......Home Depot, Lowes, etc? See attached picture!


Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:39 am

Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:06 am

It's a round work box: https://www.thespruce.com/electrical-sw ... es-1824666 (see #6). I'm wanting to say that the material used for the box you're showing is bakelite: not sure if anyone really uses it anymore? Just go with whatever is available (might need one that's specifically suited for "rework").

Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:33 am
Location: Anna, Tx

Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:51 pm

If the round work box was screwed in via the 4 mounting holes - then you can get an exact replacement from orange or blue big box. But! If you cannot access how this box was mounted - you will have to get a work box that has little plastic 'flags' that flip into place behind the mounting surface to secure it to the mounting panel.
Opportunity has a shelf life.

Post Reply