Doublewide - Vent or Leave roof Non-vented?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

73Viking

Hi Greg and Forum,

Never-ending projects here. With rain out of our hair here on the SoCal coast, I need to get my 'double layer of asphalt shingles' removed. The old roof deck is sagging in spots, feels spongy. Hoping it is not too badly damaged by roof weight or possibly drywood termites. In any case, I have to put a new Asphalt shingle roof on. Going with the Owens Corning TruDefinition Cool Roof series. My contractor and others have suggested adding upper and lower 'O-hagen' roof vents. Makes sense to keep the attic from heating up....the ceiling gets hot in the summer. BUT....with the odd roof rafter system where it is built with 1x2in sticks and paneling pieces (with only a small section in the middle to run electrical) I worry that the addition of roof vents might cause moist coastal air to come in and not evaporate due to poor attic air circulation. Should I just go with a white Asphalt shingle roof and leave out the vents? O'hagen vents have wind diverters, small mesh to keep out swarming termites, fire/ice protection.

Thanks, 73Viking
Greg

I would go with vents personally. ANY air circulation is better than none.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
73Viking

Hi Greg and forum,

Update on vents - Went with the O'Hagin Brand. The company suggested I go with their 'Fire/Ice Option with Wind Damper and 1/8" screen.' I was worried about fires so the Fire/Ice option works to keep embers from entering attic spaces. Drywood termites are bad on the Coast and the 1/8" screen will help to keep them out. 5 vents each side of the Doublewide. More to tell in the next few weeks as the roof gets ripped off and new one goes on. Thanks for your valued advice as always Greg!