Best method for skirting

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

clancaster23

So we will be stripping this place of the this metal siding and putting on all vinyl here in a week or two. Will also be putting on a new roof and new skirting. I am looking for ideas for skirting. I want it to look good but not cost an arm and a leg to do. I like the look of some of the fake stone panels you can get but I thing they're too much in the cost area. Was looking into just getting white soffit and going all around it with that vertically. I'd need about 24 sheets which would run around $360 and that's not counting the j-channel to set it in. Is this method about the cheapest it will get? I like the look of wood. I was thinking of cutting up sheets of t1-11 but I believe that would cost more than the soffit would. Maybe some kind of exterior wood paneling? Anyone know of any other ways to do skirting but keep the cost at a minimum?
Greg

Steel! Hands down the toughest skirting. Critters & weed eaters can't get through it.

https://www.mobilehomerepair.com/mobile ... g-install/
Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
clancaster23

Checked the link. Is that the same material that would be used for roofing? I actually checked on that because after we do the siding, we're jumping to do the roof and plan to do a metal one and those sheets are $28 a sheet. I'm guessing that would be a lot more than my $360 estimate for the vinyl although I know the metal sheeting would stand a lot longer. I'll check it out but I have a feeling it's going to be a lot more than what I want to spend on skirting. May just opt for the vinyl and just be careful. It had nothing behind it before and that's why it blew out and broke all up. This time I'll be framing it up and screwing it on so it should hold up a lot better either way I go.
Greg

Call around, prices here are all over the place. check some of the lumber yards also. If you have any steel roofers in your area, you may be able to buy cutoffs long enough for skirting.

I found used insulated concrete panels that were rubber roof protectors that I used for ours.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Jim from Canada

I am using 1/2" concrete backer board that is commonly used in bathrooms. It is also rated as a skirting material.
Mark440

Greg wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:15 pm Call around, prices here are all over the place. check some of the lumber yards also. If you have any steel roofers in your area, you may be able to buy cutoffs long enough for skirting.

Greg
Also check with regular metal roofing suppliers as sometimes a customer cancels an order - so it all kinda goes on a fire sale.
Opportunity has a shelf life.
waitingtohear

i am currently working out pricing for replacing skirting. I compared material cost between using wood panel siding vs concrete blocks. Not only are blocks cheaper but the labor involved is about 75% less! This is because there is no need to use treated wood at ground level while creating an entire frame and then cutting panels to size and then painting them. Plus blocks require no future maintenance while wood panels need paint and can rot over time. However I am trying to find out one thing before proceeding: if I stagger stack the blocks and only need it to be 2 rows high (16") and they will not be used to hold any weight of the home, will there be any issues with them leaning or separating etc over time? I am assuming it would have to be at least a 3 stack before such worry needed?