New ducts means new insulation

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Mark440

it's finally done!!! I have been well over 5 months trying to get a contractor to re-configure my HVAC ducting. At first I thought no one wanted to do it because it was completely changing the ducting paths. What i know now is that no one wanted to do it because "mobile home". In any case....the ducting is now 100% metal fittings from one end to the other.

My unit is a down blower, and it just so happens i bought the one unit that is not re-configurable - so i was stuck with a down blowing main unit. We took that output - went under the house - pulled a 180° turn right back up through the floor in the corner of the nearest room - about 5 feet. From there, we went straight up to the crest of the vaulted ceilings, hung a hard right turn - and then straight down through the middle of the house (at the ceiling). The whole thing was framed-in and then dry-walled.

Once all that was done, the next step was to tear out ALL of the underside ducting - and belly. Every last drop of that silly blow-in insulation has now been removed. Which brings me to new insulation.

I am leaning heavily towards having spray foam insulation installed.....and even having it applied to the back of the all new metal skirting. Has anyone done this or had it done??

PS: The ducting had to be replaced due to critters chewing their way through the plastic skirting, and then the belly. ALL of it was either destroyed or contaminated.
Opportunity has a shelf life.
Greg

The only possible issue I could see is with spray foam plumbing access.
Go with either metal or concrete skirting they are about critter proof.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mark440

I've already ordered and received all new 26 gauge metal skirting. I'm kinda sorta torn between leaving the skirting uninstalled until the insulation is blown in.....or going ahead and installing and having the back side of the skirting sprayed as well. I had the same concern about water lines - and will see if the spray company has any suggestions. other than boxing the lines in and avoiding spraying foam directly on the boxing...I'm at a loss.
Opportunity has a shelf life.