Ceiling Damage due to pipe

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Raktus84

In the guest bathroom I am constantly getting water damage to the ceiling right below where an exhaust vent pipe thing is on the roof. It only seems to get worse when it rains. I've climbed up on the roof and sprayed a sealant around where the exhaust is on the roof, but it seems to not have helped. Any advice?
Greg

It may be a leak near the pipe where it goes through the roof or possibly rain getting under the cap. Roof leaks can be very tough to find.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Raktus84

What if I drown it with more flex seal?
Greg

You need to take a look at the entire roof, I had multiple cracks in ours. Water runs down hill, but always in a straight line. Our window frame was rotted from a leak in the skylight, ended up replacing the whole wall and 4 wall studs in the living room. When was the last time the roof was sealed (if it is a metal roof)? It can make you pull your hair out trying to find the source. Sometimes there are just no easy ways to find & seal them.

Greg
Raktus84

It was about 2-3 years ago when the roof was replaced, so that long ago. Yeah, it is a metal roof.

The reason I think it is where the vent is, is because of the pipe that goes through the ceiling. It wore a hole through the ceiling before by making it damp enough to remove with my fingers. Reaching up through the hole I could touch the pipe up there. One day after it rained the pipe was damp, when it never was before. So it seems to me that the water is traveling down the pipe when it rains and dripping off of it.
Greg

I would start with a new boot if is that style. look the cap over very close. Other than that Butyl rubber sealer.

Greg