tub door install

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

getting tired of shower curtains causing leaking leaking water on my floor. are they as hard as they seem to install? also going to remove the tub to put on the plastic legs that was on my old tub which finally broke from the floor getting all wet. the new tub i installed awhile back had the stiryafoam base support. don't like it at all. mice got in there & eat through most of it. mice are gone now though. left w/ tub floor creaking & flexing just waiting for it to break through.can i just remove the stryafoam & glue the leg supports from the old tub to it? the lower part of it is still good after removing it from the old tub. sorry can't spell stryafoam.
archive

As far as the tub door being as hard as it seems, I don't think they're very difficult at all. But our tubs are usually shorter so you will have to cut the bottom and top tracks to fit, then just follow directions that come with doors which may consist of just putting some chaulking and screwing the sides into the walls. The top track usually just lowers down onto the sides and then hook the doors on. About the supports, I would think that what you want to do would be alright as long as it is supported, someone else might have a better answer for you to that though. Btw it's styrofoam ;-)
archive

Since the styrofoam is part of the support system if has to be there or as you have found the tub will flex and eventually break. I think I would try using some foam spray insulation to replace the missing styrofoam. Greg
archive

hi! Greg,been awhile since i've been on here. i was planning on taking the tub out cause i have to redo the floor again.the floor under the tub is already reinforced & ok. i am planning on removing all the foam & installing the plastic legs & brace assy. that was on the old tub. it has 6 legs that snap into the long brace that was glued to the tub. i took it off the old one & saved it in case i might need it for this reason. i was looking on the site for all the hardware you sell & could/nt find out where to buy a shower door that i'm planning on installing soon. its somewhere around 56" long. the standard type tub thats in most of the old trlrs.
archive

The doors are straight forward, cut the rails to fit and mount the sides.
I do however have concerns about tub supports. I personally would not remove the styrofoam. Greg
archive

Hi Homebuff,

Just my two cents here!

Keep in mind that shower doors may not come together perfectly. If they are made for a 60 inch tub and you have a 54 inch space, the doors will overlap when closed. The only way to get around this is a special order or custom made doors.

I'm on the same page with Greg on this one! The styrofoam is there for a reason!!! It cushions the tub, and protects it from cracks.

If you have replaced the skirting and sealed it up well. And your belly material is tight, then you shouldn't have any problems. We've got a 34 year old home. Original tub and showers. They're a little worn, but still in good shape. Both have styro under the tub. The styro is still in good shape.

Maureen 8-)
archive

Hi,

Here is another 2 cents.

I have a residential cleaning business, I have seen many a shower door that leaks. So, I am just saying this installation is not an absolute against water damage.

JMO,

~Yanita~
archive

Quoted From: Maureen

Hi Homebuff,

Just my two cents here!

Keep in mind that shower doors may not come together perfectly. If they are made for a 60 inch tub and you have a 54 inch space, the doors will overlap when closed. The only way to get around this is a special order or custom made doors.

I'm on the same page with Greg on this one! The styrofoam is there for a reason!!! It cushions the tub, and protects it from cracks.

If you have replaced the skirting and sealed it up well. And your belly material is tight, then you shouldn't have any problems. We've got a 34 year old home. Original tub and showers. They're a little worn, but still in good shape. Both have styro under the tub. The styro is still in good shape.

Maureen 8-)
maureen, i believe it is a shallow 54 " tub. its one of the cheap ones. can't afford those expensive ones. don't know what your talking about skirting though. the out side portion of the floor is bad. i recently just took some 3/4 " treated plywood & screwed it down over bad floor. i know that was.nt the proper procedure but have you ever tried to work in this type of closed space before. i am going to do it right this spring though.just want to have all the material to get it done all at once. remodel the whole bath. i would love to take out the tub & put in a shower stall alone cause i'm the only one that uses this bath & i only take showers. is that a hard project? i could relocate my toilet in the corner so it would give me more room. it is a tight space. its a 1/2 bath
archive

Hi,

A total bathroom renovation is/can be an extensive job. We just did it again.

We replaced all the floor, moved out one wall by a foot, rewired, replumbed, tore out existing lovely green 54" shallow tub/shower unit.

Before you begin this project, have a clear idea of what you want your finished project to be like. Take note of where your current electrical outlets and switches are...will they need to be moved, then there are unseen things.

There are several photos in the albums of bath remodels. Go check them out. Marks Repair Manuel will also help you greatly with this project.

~Yanita~
archive

You mentioned that mice had gotten under your home and ate the previous Styrofoam. Sealing the belly and making sure that your skirting is in perfect condition, will help ward off the critters.

I would suggest that you don't spend anymore money on the bathroom right now. I agree with Yanita, even shower doors leak. I have to replace one in my guest bath this year!

All I was saying that cutting down the frame to shower doors is an option, but if you're buying standard doors, to fit say a 60 inch tub, the door themselves will still be the same size. Unless you get them custom made. This means when they are in the closed position, the door will overlap by about 2 or 3 inches. This means that the standard seal on the doors may not work. Or, they may fail early.

Homebuff, you DO NOT want to use treated lumber on the interior of your home! That's a health hazard right there. It's chemically treated. What you want to do is take out all of the bad flooring and replace with interior plywood. It's a pain staking job, but most of us have been through it.

If you have two bathrooms, one that still has a tub, it's cool to take out the tub and turn it into a shower stall. It's not much more work than replacing a tub. The drain normally needs to be relocated, as well as the plumbing.

It's by no means an easy job for a DIYer, but it can be done with some good information and education before hand.

Here's one other tip that's a big rule in our house! If liquid hits the floor, it's cleaned up in minutes! This pertains to showers, accidents in the kitchen, kids knocking over glasses, or pets, etc. No liquid is allowed on the floors. That means, right after a shower, you clean up any water!

Once you replace the subfloor, you'll understand this better LOL!

Maureen 8-)
archive

Quoted From: Maureen

Hi homebuff,

You mentioned that mice had gotten under your home and ate the previous Styrofoam. Sealing the belly and making sure that your skirting is in perfect condition, will help ward off the critters. thank you!

I would suggest that you don't spend anymore money on the bathroom right now. I agree with Yanita, even shower doors leak. I have to replace one in my guest bath this year!

All I was saying that cutting down the frame to shower doors is an option, but if you're buying standard doors, to fit say a 60 inch tub, the door themselves will still be the same size. Unless you get them custom made. This means when they are in the closed position, the door will overlap by about 2 or 3 inches. This means that the standard seal on the doors may not work. Or, they may fail early.

Homebuff, you DO NOT want to use treated lumber on the interior of your home! That's a health hazard right there. It's chemically treated. What you want to do is take out all of the bad flooring and replace with interior plywood. It's a pain staking job, but most of us have been through it.

If you have two bathrooms, one that still has a tub, it's cool to take out the tub and turn it into a shower stall. It's not much more work than replacing a tub. The drain normally needs to be relocated, as well as the plumbing.

It's by no means an easy job for a DIYer, but it can be done with some good information and education before hand.

Here's one other tip that's a big rule in our house! If liquid hits the floor, it's cleaned up in minutes! This pertains to showers, accidents in the kitchen, kids knocking over glasses, or pets, etc. No liquid is allowed on the floors. That means, right after a shower, you clean up any water!

Once you replace the subfloor, you'll understand this better LOL!

Maureen 8-)
archive

sorry, i was'nt logged in when i posted the thank you message. anyway, thanks for all the replys. i don't think i want to tackle the shower stall project as of now since i'm not that good at that sorta thing. the treated floor thing you spoke of though, i have been told by the lumber co. that it was ok & best i use it in a bath area since its prone for water leaks the most. i already installed some in my bedroom area around the closet where my a/c a/coil was leaking in case some day it might leak again & warp my floor. some tell me i could spread some coating on it before puting it down. thompson water seal perhaps? or is that an outside product only for decking?
archive

Hi homebuff,

Heres my best advice. You've got internet access. Go to google and do a search on using pressure treated lumber on interior applications.

Granted, today's pressure treated lumber is much better than the old stuff! But, it's meant to be used on exterior projects.

Plywood is just as good. It's always recommended solid vinyl be used in bathrooms to prevent water getting at the subfloor. Anything else, takes mopping up water right away! Anything else can get to the subfloor, if water is left to sit on it.

Maureen 8-)
archive

i'll take that into consideration on the lumber but for the mice, they are gone for now & my skirting is intacked. they simply dug a hole under the skirting to get in that way. damage is already done to our house. holes in walls, chewed up modem cables, lamp cords, cables, wires & such. yes!! they did some damage to our house. we did'nt act quick enough to get rid of them. i looked like RAMBO around here in the middle of the night, chasing them around waking us up rattling things in the kitchen cabinets. as for the shower stall, i'll just stick to a tub & when said it was a 1/2 bath, its a little larger than that cause it has a vanity. the other bath that my wife uses is actually the same size but has the step up style tub. my bath will be getting all new floor & the lumber you spoke of. the floor does have vinyl. i'm going to stay w/ a shower curtain but get one a little thicker. we also have a long runner board that runs across the center of our ceiling that is hanging down a little at one end of the kitchen. its where the two boards meet. i believe it got that way when they moved the trlr. is there a piece of wood above that that i can install a screw to hold it back up in place? thanks for all you comments. looks like i'm going to be real busy this spring.
archive

Hi Homebuff,

Just wanted to add a little something that happened to us in our last singlewide.

Although I prefer shower curtains to shower doors they can be a little trickey. Anyways, our last home as the shower was running the water would run down the wall and over the corners of the tub, it was not enough to really notice, but over time it ruined the floors.

Suggestion, when you do your remodel or repairs lower your shower rod a couple inches, and if water is running to the outside corners you can get these little guard type things that stick in place and redirect the water back into the tub.

If one of the things you do not like about a curtain is it "grabbing" you while in the shower there are now rods available that have a slight outward curve to them. Just do a search for shower curtain rods and you will see what I am talking about.

Good luck,

~Yanita