Vapor barrier, repair or replace

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ChuckS59

On my 1973 Eldorado the underside is generally intact when it comes to the original insulation and the backing paper of it. There are 2 places where it was removed for both a plumbing issue and a termite issue. These areas are repaired and completely separate from each other at opposite ends of the home. The square footage for both areas totals about 150-200 square feet. My question is this... should I look to replace the insulation in those areas by way of a patch type of repair or go the whole nine yards with replacing the insulation and having a new vapor barrier put on the entire underside of the home? The home is located in SW Florida. This is my first go round with a mobile home so I need all of the input that I can get.
Thanks in advance,
Chuck
Greg

Since you are not in a freezing area I would just do a patch job on it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ChuckS59

Definitely not in a freezing area, lol...
My main concern was rain water run off from the heavy thunderstorms of summer running underneath the home and evaporating in the heat. Thanks Greg
Greg

With proper skirting installation & ventilation the problem should be minimal. You could Tyvek as a patch if you can not pull it together.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."