Question about subfloor

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

dsmnightmare

Hi, so my home is a pretty standard 16x80 floor plan where the furnace is located right next to the master bedroom in the hallway by the back door. One thing I've noticed over the years is that the floor in front of the furnace in the hallway doesn't feel the same as the rest of the floor. It creaks slightly when I walk on it but only in the one spot. Now I did notice one thing odd about the way that area is laid out. It almost looks like they used a small piece of decking to fill that area when building the home because the decking does not go completely under the furnace.. at least no in the front side of the furnace. I wonder if they did this because it was easier than trying to cut a hole in the decking to fit the furnace. None the less my question is this.

Could that be why I notice the floor in that one spot feels different than the entire rest of the hallway? When I knock on the floor it even sounds different. Still hard but almost a hallow type sound. Thanks in advance.
Greg

It is possible that it feels different because it may only have support on 2 sides by only the floor joists. Without pulling up flooring it's hard to say for sure.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
dsmnightmare

Looks like that is the case. I was under there sealing the hole where the HVAC lines run out today and as far as I could reach there was nothing. I guess if it's ever a concern I can always add support but I've moved a 350lb safe over it with no issues. The main reason I looked in there was to make sure the floor was okay. Nobody ever told me I had to replace the HVAC insulation on the fluid line and it's rotted out. It sweated all last summer and got a bit of the floor but nothing structural just a small patch and it's dry now. I'm going to redo the insulation this spring before the AC comes back on.