New roof on addition

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

brenlan419

This will be long sorry. We have been dealing with a leak since beginning of summer. There is an addition on the mobile home we are living in (its my father in laws) and the metal roof was leaking. We tried to seal everywhere we thought was leaking, it did not help. Called a roofer to check for the leak, he couldn't find any problem areas, sealed some spots, recommended a new slate roof. Father in law did not want to pay the $1200. So he kept having us seal areas and wasted all summer for installing a new roof. About a month ago my FIL decided to install a new roof on his own, he has done roofs before so okay. They install all new plywood and shingles, they do not install insulation or actual ceiling tiles because he wanted to make sure it wasn't leaking. The roof continued to leak at two of the plywood seams. They got that under control, now there has been such bad condensation it has caused white mold to grow toward the outer edge of the plywood. What can we do to help with the condensation so we can close this ceiling in and replace the flooring that has been destroyed from all the water?
The addition is attached to the living room and we have it closed off with a sheet of plastic. This has been a pain in the butt and is an eye sore.

Also any recommendations on helping with moisture and white mold in corners of closets would be great. The whole house is wood paneling and seems to be very poorly insulated underneath. We live in PA so its cold and wet pretty much all winter.

Thank you for bearing with my vent/ask for help lol
Greg

There are a lot of possibilities, but the first thing that comes to my mind is the joint between the home & addition, Unless the two are on below the frostline footings the two will shift with frost heave.
Do you have ventilation UNDER the home? You could have moisture coming through the home from the ground. Check the relative humidity inside the home, you may need a dehumidifier to bring the level down if it is high.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
brenlan419

Thank you, Greg. I will tell my fiance and see what he can do with that.
Is there anything we can do in the mean time with the constant dripping from the moisture coming off the plywood from the roof? It's dripping onto carpet and I feel just ruining the floor. We have tubs in some spots but it's getting worse the colder it gets outside. Is that where the dehumidifier would come into play?
Greg

If it is dripping from condensation and not a leak, than a Dehu should help. Let it run full bore and see if it helps.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."