Under insulation

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

cdog0809

Hello I have a 1996 oakwood single wife mobile home and I have to repair the black clothe type stuff that’s underneath the home it kinda holds the insulation up by the floors and it keeps the moisture out not sure what it’s called.
But am I able to just use black 6 mil heavy duty plastic from Lowe’s to replace the original stuff I’m trying to prepare the home to move in as I had to make a lot of repairs
Greg

Stay away from plastic, you want the underbelly to breathe. Tyvek would be a better choice, or you can order the OE style from the site's store

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mark440

I had the entire belly tore out - including all the insulation as it had become contaminated by a critter or two. Once i have finished the HVAC replacement - I am having a fellow come out to do spray foam insulation. What i really like about the spray foam is that it seals off all the nooks and crannies and tiny gaps/leaks - and provides a higher R value than fiberglass. The down side is that I will be a bit more difficult to repair any water line problems should they arise. BUT!!! As an added bonus - it leaves no place for a critter to bed down!
Opportunity has a shelf life.
Greg

You may want to replace the water lines running the length of the home with pex before you have it foamed. Cheap insurance to avoid future problems if you have the old grey PB tubing.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."