Help! I need skirting!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

AshleyRae394

I have come into ownership of my childhood home, a 70x14 mobile home on a concrete slab, my father had originally skirted it with OSB and 2x4’s which apparently were not pressure treated and have aged poorly. It is in dire need of replacement, however I am feeling overwhelmed by the options. I need great insulation value (winters where I am can easily drop to -30), but I also want something that will last, seal up well to keep pests out (spiders are creepy and I believe there is currently a coon holed up down there :shock: ), and I want it to look nice.

I was looking at a product called rapid wall that seemed to be easy to diy and from the images it looks well sealed. I believe they have an option for 2”t insulation which sounds nice. My only concerns with the rapid wall are: 1. Durability, I’m a naturally clumsy gal and I could easily see myself getting too close with the weed whacker, also for the money I’m hoping that I will not have to worry about re-skirting the place for many years to come, and 2. Installation on the slab, like how does that even work?
In the video I watched, the guy was installing it on a mobile home without a slab, just straight dirt underneath, he used ground spikes. My slab extends beyond the perimeter of the MH, by about 20 feet in the front, and about 10 feet on either side, with the rear of the home being the only section that is anywhere near flush with the slab, so I assume going with this method would require me running a 2x4 along the base of the skirting to give me something to screw the rail into.

Anyway, what do you guys think would be the best skirting material for my needs?
Greg

I am a big fan of steel skirting. It is about bullet proof, and if a critter chews it's way through it I'm not going to mess with it.
Here's a link
https://www.mobilehomerepair.com/mobile ... g-install/

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mark440

I just ordered all new metal skirting to go all the way around. I added new J-channel and cornering for a complete seal. of course, I will make cut outs for foundation venting. All told, I am less than $800 for everything. Lowest contract bid i got was $3400.

Make sure you get the 26 gauge metal panels. The lighter panels have the tendency to dent and bend much more easily.
Opportunity has a shelf life.
Jim from Canada

I am slowly re doing mine and I am using concrete board. The stuff they use for shower surrounds. It is rated by the manufacturer as a skirting material. It isn't insulated, but we don't have much of a problem with that, the belly is insulated pretty well. I am in Ontario, Canada and it gets cold. I do plan on gluing some foam inside it someday. I have a video on it in my You Tube channel on the installation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_ppdFS-VlM&t=3s
Mark440

So in anticipation of the installation of brand new metal skirting - I began looking to find foundation vents to meet the need. BUT! There seems to be some new understanding of crawl spaces - and foundation vents are no longer recommended??? I found an article on Angie's list - and it refers to EPA data. And if i understand it all - the foundation vents actually let in more moisture than they push out.

I am dead set on making this 'right' - and would prefer not to cut holes in the new skirting if it is not needed. I guess I am looking for the 'science' more than the 'it's always been done'. Anybody know??
Opportunity has a shelf life.
Greg

Building codes require ventilation. The standard is 1 sq/foot of free flow vent for every 100 sq/ft of floor space so if you have a 1200 sq/ft home you want 12 sq/ft of ventilation, To 100% accurate you need to look at the vents you are installing for the rated free flow size, the screen area does reduce the size.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."