1981 Mobile home

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

tktaylor08

hello all
I just bought a 1981 14x78 3bedroom 1.5 bath mobile home. I bought it in hopes that I would be able to fix it up and it is right next door to my grandson. we have lived in a house that we have not been able to afford to fix. now owning the trailer out right we will have funds every month to go to repairing it and making it our own.
I knew it was rough when I bought it but when we started digging deeper it has a lot to be fixed. the north side of the trailer is bad, the walls in the hall seem to be not attached to the floor. I also have put a foot thru the floor in the kitchen near the sink from what looks like an old sink leak.
I guess what I need to know is if I start with leveling the trailer and making sure the roof is tight can I still fix one room at a time. my husband says that we cant but I have hopes for this place being a fresh start for us. I think it all depends on if we can live with shambles in the rooms we are not working in right?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

The first thing I would recommend is relevel the home. Then make sure the roof is weather tight. Rather than doing a room at a time, I would do the floor. You could do that one room at a time. Replace that with plywood, when you open the floor up you may find joist problems that will need to be addressed too. once the whole floor is 100% you can move on to the walls, again you could do a room at a time. As long as the walls are open upgrade the electrical as well and re insulate.
Make no mistake, this will not be a quick job but should be worth it in the long run. You can upgrade as much as you want, Kitchen, bathrooms, windows etc. it is all up to you.

Greg

"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."