Roof, Siding or Windows & Doors. What Order?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

lisamaechilders

Renovation of 1995 single Wide. All original and in Very Great condition except, it is all original. Gable Metal roof. Tiny V channel gutters. Never been coated (as far as I can tell) very rusty but not leaking. Aluminum Vertical Siding. Brown and white. Looks like a faux wood grain. uggg. Aluminum Single Pane Windows with Storm windows and half screens. All present and accounted for but ugly and inefficient.

I intend to put on a new metal roof and additional top side insulation. Replace the siding with vertical board of some kind (still to be determined) and add more side insulation also. Replace the windows with new, probably different sizes and locations, move the rear door to a new location and change it to sliding. Replace the front door with newer option.

So my questions is, In what order should these exterior renovations take place? The siding is going to be thicker than present siding. That will affect the roof overhang So it seems reasonable to install siding before roof. But if you install new siding but can't get to the new roof for another year, where does that leave the un-protected siding? The windows will be different sizes and locations which will require new frames. These will affect the siding. Why install new siding then start cutting it out for new window & door sizes and locations? But then again wouldn't you want the siding in place so you know how to fit those new frames? They will be thicker than the present install. I will be eventually replacing the wall panels with sheetrock, this will be thicker which will have an effect on the trim. But the interior is completely livable and I wanted to do the outside first. Unless that's a bad idea. And if it is.... then I have another list of which comes first.

Thanks in advance Lisa
hmmmmm I'm trying to layout a plan of attack with an order of events so I can set my budget in place. And I would appreciate advice.
Last edited by lisamaechilders on Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

The first thing you need to do before anything is have the home checked and if necessary releveled with a water level. If the home is off before you start EVERYTHING will be off.

Remember that mobile homes are very weight sensitive when you look at the way the homes are made and the way they are supported you will see that you may need perimeter blocking to help support the additional weight.

There are many posts on window replacements /upgrades, I did ours around 2000 so if you do a search you may find my posts & pictures. I did the roof last year. The roof had pinholes so leaks all over, ended up replacing all of the drywall in the living room, plus a new window to replace the 17 yr old pella window that I put in in 2000. You need to make sure the home is 100% weather tight before you start upgrades or the upgrades will end up ruined.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
lisamaechilders

Thank-you ever so much! You replied so very quickly and I didn't have notifications turned on. My apologies for my delay in responding.
You are absolutely spot on with the suggestion on leveling. Funny thing.... I was putting up some storage shelves in a closet yesterday. The shelves were directly perpendicular to the side of the mobile home. I started with a measurement of 20" down from the ceiling in all corners continuing with a shelf every 14". The shelves were only 27" wide. Believe me I would notice 1 out of place it looked like stripes. The shelves visually looked perfect.. They were level from front to back. But from left to right they were 3/8" off. Doesn't seem like much. Right? When I raised one of them to be level, visually it looked crooked. My, my.... Has my vision become crooked because I live in a crooked house? I need to..... "buy a crooked cat that will catch a crooked mouse so we can all live together in a little crooked house."

I believe you are absolutely spot on!!! 1st step before I do anything, I must find someone to check the "levelness". Is that a word?
Greg

The former owner of this site wrote a book that may help you a lot. He wrote it in a very generic manor not geared to any make.
https://www.mobilehomerepair.com/manual ... r-upgrade/
should take you to it.
checking the home for level is not too difficult, but you do have to crawl around under your home. remember the ONLY way to get an accurate reading is with a water level. there is a kit for that in the site store too.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."