Priming and Painting Walls

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

cat_mobile

Hello.
We had part of our bathroom redone and some of the drywall panels were replaced.

I have mismatching walls (with the old one being covered in the vinyl (?) wallpaper and newer ones that are not covered in anything).

Thinking of priming and painting all of them to match, but not sure how to go about it or what the best brand would be?

The old ones also have parts where the wallpaper are ripped. Would primer be enough to cover that up? Would I need to take the vinyl off first?

This is what it looks like:
Side on the left is the new wall where it's basically like a gray paperish material and not covered in vinyl...making them more susceptible to moisture damage and I'm mildly irritated that the people who installed it chose this since it seems rather a illogical choice in a bathroom where it gets steamy but I'm ranting now.

While the side on the right is the old vinyl covered one.
wall2.png

This is the picture of where it's ripped on the old one.
wall.png

Thanks in advance for any inputs!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

And that is why I really hate working with vinyl covered walls. You have 2 choices, first you can skim coat with joint compound & sand it smooth or replace the rest of the panels. In all honesty in may be faster & easier to replace the rest of the panels.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."