sloping floor

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

trapper48

G'day. I am the proud owner of an old 12' wide '69 mobile. This past winter we had a number of heavy snowfalls. I noticed a few times before I cleared the roof that the floors along one side of the trailer began sloping down. My water lines are located inside the trailer along the side that was sagging. Prior to my purchasing the trailer it appears there was much water damage from leaking lines and old hot water tank. My thinking is that perhaps rotted floor joists and rim joists may be the problem. My question is can I just rip out the old rim joist, hammer in sister floor joists then replace rim joist that I removed? Would the original joists be notched for the duct work or no? Also, will I need to support the section of floor joists I will work on before removing rim joist? This will be the start of a major reno involving replacing rotted wall studs and adding addtional strips throughout to bring all walls up to 2X4" dimensions from 2X3" and installing drywall sheets.
Greg

The first thing you need to do is get under the home and get a GOOD look at what you are up against. start with the piers and make sure they didn't shift or sink. You may get lucky and get by with just a relevel.
A home that old may not be worth that much work. you may find you can buy a newer home for less money.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."