Questionable Electrical Wiring

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Steve S.

Hello All,
I like the look of the new forum...I haven't been here in quite some time...good to see the same dedicated forum moderators.
I am still living in my 1985 Champion single-wide..22 years now, with no major problems lately. I did come across a disturbing switch wiring job...it was an attic fan shut-off switch designed to bypass the attic thermostat. The fan motor burned out years ago, so I just disconnected the wires at the fan box in the roof.
On the shut-off switch I found three wires attached to the hot wire terminal (one back-stabbed, and two others barely attached to the screw)...no hooks on the wire ends. I'm not sure if this is to code, but doesn't seem so. Makes me wonder about the rest of the home wiring.
Anyone know where the circuit runs are placed from the breaker box to the far ends of the trailer? Doesn't seem like they would pass through all the wall studs but either in the attic space or in the belly...would be interesting to know where they are located.
Greg

Impossible to say for sure, but many manufacturers run the wires down the outside of the wall studs under the siding about a foot from the floor.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mark440

I had to replace all of the 220v runs in my place. In doing so, I had to remove the face-plate at the breaker box. ALL of the 110's went up from the box, while ALL of the 220's went down under. That said, I have seen many a run of standard 14gge romex tacked to the inside of the perimeter joists down under. Bear in mind that I have a double wide - so it would be logical to place the runs down under so that joining them can be done when the two halves are set together. I am plenty fine working with the electrical when the issue is at one end or the other. But! Trying to figure out how some one on an assembly line routed wiring through an open frame is accordingly called the impossible dream. If only this was the 24th century...
Opportunity has a shelf life.
Steve S.

Thanks guys,
Yes, it would be nice if the manufacturer supplied a wiring diagram with the home, and these can be very difficult to find. It would be nice to be able to see through the walls, ceilings and belly tarp. I suppose they have devices now to see through walls, but probably pricey.
Luckily I have had no major electrical issues over the years and I've been very careful not to overload circuits, esp. now since I've found wires just barely touching terminals.
I also discovered a light fixture (over the kitchen sink) that is not protected by a circuit breaker. I've tripped all the breakers and the light remains on...I don't know how they accomplished that feat.
Now I'm going to test my GFCI receptacles, as I understand they can wear out over time...no sense having one if it does not work properly.
Good to see you are still here Greg after all these years...you are really dedicated to this website.
Greg

Thanks Steve, it does seem like a long time at times. I would kind of like to know where some of the others disappeared to. The only one I talk to occasionally is JD. Yanita & Oldfart seem to have fallen off the face of the earth.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."