New Construction or Replacement window?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lorne

The carpenter who will replace my rotted rim joist ,other studs and a section of rotted flooring said I could buy any window I wanted and he would install it.

I went to Home Depot a got a "replacement" style window, but I think now that I should have gotten a "New Construction" type since he will be
re-framing much of the wall.
The old window is 47x54 and the new size will be 36x54.
I haven't talked to him yet this week.

Is my thinking correct?
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
altasnowman

Hi Lorne,
should not be a problem with the window you have already purchased. it will show you how good your carpenter is, as i have done most of my windows using replacement windows. It just makes you think a bit more.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
Lorne

Thanks.
I had a feeling it might be something like that.
Being able to add the necessary trim woodwork and framing.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Greg

You can use either, the difference is that new construction windows have nailing fins on the outside of the window. I personally use new construction windows over replacement windows since you usually need to replace the frame also.
One problem you may have if you go with a smaller window is finding siding to match what you have, this is a problem if you have aluminum siding. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Lorne

Greg.
The siding has a very faint wood grain showing. I was going to paint it all any way.
If push comes to shove they can take siding off the interior wall of the enclosed porch where it joins the house.
I was thinking of drywalling that anyway. This will convince the wife, because she said to leave the siding appearance.

Thanks for the tips. I should post this web site on the bulletin board in the clubhouse in case people need advise.
Mark
Site Admin

Replacement windows are going to be a lot more work to install. Always use new-construction windows.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Lorne

New Construction it is.
Went to HD this morning and exchanged the window for the right kind. Reconstruction starts tomorrow at 0800.
Hopefully I'll be posting pictures.
Mark
Site Admin

Replacement windows are also harder to seal. Much easier to seal with new construction, so good choice in doing the exchange.

Mark
Lorne

Never upload a picture before. Took a little work though.
Area inside of blue tape is the new size of the window.
Green painted wall area on the left is where I found that the wall was not fastened to the floor.
Talk about fall through the cracks.
Mark
Site Admin

Wow, changes window sizes is definitely doubling the work. But I'm sure you'll be proud when its all done.

Mark
Lorne

#1-Rotted joist's replaced and new plywood flooring.
#2 & 3 Vinyl siding removed from carport and replaced with T-1-11 to try to match the porch siding.
#4-Finished window W/vinyl shutters.

Started Saturday at 8:15 AM and finished on Sunday at 4PM.
3 men working steady with only 1hr for lunch each day.
They also leveled the Heat Pump.
$1675.00 plus the window I purchased at HD for $115.00,single hung, double pane-low-E glass.
Interior -1/2 " drywall, new insulation and window trimmed out and caulked.
I will send pictures when it is all painted.
dandjbarrett

This really looks beautiful.
JD
Site Admin

The work looks great! It looks like you went with the replacement window.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Lorne

No actually, I got the New Construction style with the nailing ears on it. They also used the rubber adhesive backed paper to seal before putting the window in place.

I taped and mudded the interior drywall and sanded down the casing trim before painting.
Lorne

I forgot the before picture. Here it is.
The white panel was wood and completely rotted out. The paint was the only thing holding it all together.
If you have this same style please check it and poke it with something pointy to see if it is rotted. This was all original to 1986. Amazing.