Replacing wall

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

InvisibleInk

Hello.

There is a whole in one of the walls and I want to have it fixed but the walls have a texture on them. How would I go about replacing a wall like this? Do I get a wall panel that has the texture on it or do I have to do it myself? I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question. I have no idea what to do.

I attached a picture of the texture.
20180103_112956.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

Not a stupid question at all. Textured panels in mobile homes (both wall & ceiling) are next to impossible to replace with an original. You will need to find a textured paint something like this. https://www.ronhazelton.com/projects/ho ... x_finsihes

Or re finish the wall with a different surface.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mark440

It's hard to tell from the pic - but a there is a technique called "crow's foot" that uses a very large pair of nylon brushes to create a non-repeating textured finish. Each brush has nylon fibers that are 6-8 inches long - and these are spread out from a central point on the brush handle. Generally, two of these are strapped together with about 6-8 inches in-between. using a fairly large pan with water thinned drywall mud, Roll a thin coat of mud across the area, Then, the brush is dipped into the mud and then 'slapped' against the drywall. (The guy in the vid rolls the mud onto the brush, but the brush can also be dipped)

This slapping and splattering is overlapped repeatedly (2-4 times) in a general area, then left to dry. In some cases, you can drag a large drywall blade across the area to knock the peaks down. (Common use of knockdown is done when shooting the mud from a splatter gun. The mud hits the wall making a 'splatter' mark, then the blade smooths any outward rounding.) But - it is far easier just to use a 'dry' brush to thin out any peaks.

The technique is almost fail-safe as there is no definitive pattern - just an 'effect'. However, keep an eye for any areas that get 'too much' mud. These areas can be thinned by letting the brush go 'dry' then use the slapping technique to transfer excessive mud out to thinner areas.

Here's a good step-by-step vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWsmZhJxfuQ
Opportunity has a shelf life.
JD
Site Admin

Excellent video! Thank you, Mark.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
JaniceGore

Hey, these wall texture designs look really great.