Question about replacing doors

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

Have you guys found that it's better to buy new doors at Home Depot or is it better to buy doors specifically made for mobile homes?

Also, what is the good way to find the manufacturer of an out-swing back door? I need to order a new rubber seal.

Thanks!
Mark
Site Admin

Hi Nestman,

I think what you are asking is more a matter of opinion and you might get conflicting advice. I think most people make this decision on the basis of cost. There also may need to be some consideration for the location of the door along with the weight of the door in regards to the structure of the opening it will be installed.

There is an article on MHR here http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/mobile- ... dard-door/ that shows a standard door from a hardware store being modified to fit at manufactured home. In this example, it was much cheaper to buy the door but it did take some customization in order for it to work.

If you are planning on putting a solid wood door (very heavy compared to most doors in manufactured homes) in, the extra weight of the door may shake the walls of your home as well.

I hope that helps.
You can't fail if you don't try!