Changing Outlets In Kitchen!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

TomAllyn

My kitchen was just remodeled with custom cabinets, granite, and a tile backsplash. Now I need to change the outlets and covers so the color doesn't clash with the tile a granite. I've run into a couple issues.

I've changed a couple on one side of my kitchen without a problem - with outlets purchased at Lowes by simply copying the old wiring to the new outlets and checking that they were wired correctly with a tester. I did turn off all the power to the outlets and switches in my kitchen by the way.

On the other side of the kitchen, I pulled one of the outlets away from the wall only to discover, unlike the other side those outlets only have 2 wires plus a ground even though they have two outlets per plate. I'm not sure how to install the new outlets with only 2 wires and a ground or even if its possible with the outlets I purchased.

I'm stumped and would greatly appreciate your assistance.
Last edited by TomAllyn on Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

A few tips. If you are using the traditional "modular" box/outlet that is common in Mobile homes do yourself a favor and throw them out. Use a separate box with traditional outlets that use screws to connect the wires. Also GFI protected outlets within 5' of water is required by code.

Here is a print for two outlets in one box.
https://www.do-it-yourself-help.com/wir ... e-box.html

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
TomAllyn

I just realized my post above was written poorly. It's not outlets per box as in the printed diagram above. Its just one double outlet like standard per box but with only 2 wires a white one a black one and an uninsulated copper ground. I'm feeling so frustrated right now that I may not be explaining things well. It's something I expected to be simple like in my past site-built house. I've almost decided to throw my hands in the air and paint the outlets. My confusion comes because on the other side there were more wires and they were all black except for the copper ground.

Secondly, next to my sink there was a double with sockets on the right and two switches on the right. The top switch runs a light over my sink and the bottom runs the garbage disposal. I tried to switch it out with a color matched switch, but when I did the top switch ended up turning on both the light and the disposal at the same time and the bottom one did nothing. So I switched it out and re-installed the old switch and it works as it is supposed to. At this point, I've just about given up for today!