flex-mend tape

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Busybee1952

The directions say to clean off the belly board before applying the tape. What should I clean it with? Oh, and how long should I hold the hair dryer on it? Thanks.
JD
Site Admin

Hi Pat,

I would just clean it off with a dry rag and maybe one quick hit with a slightly damp rag. You want to remove any dust and dirt so the tape will stick well. With the poly type belly board you may need to heat a section for 10-20 seconds. You can pick at the edge of the tape to be sure it stuck well. On the black fibered type board, you may have to heat it quite a bit longer. I found that the Flex-mend did not stick to that stuff very well. I used Flex-mend for a little while, but was not all that pleased with the stuff. I use Sta-put or the heavy duty 3-M adhesive spray or mechanical fasteners. I will use strips of paneling (used when I have some) and roll the vapor barrier material edges with it and then fasten that to the joists.

Hope this helps,

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Busybee1952

Ut oh. I think I may have the black board kind. It's not really a board though. More like a heavy paper with strings in it. Well, I tried it out tonight anyway. I wiped it off good with a dry rag but didn't even try a wet rag because it doesn't seem like a real good idea to get it wet at all. Used some spray glue as well as holding the hair dryer on there a good long while and smoothing it out and rubbing the edges. It seems to be stuck pretty good so I hope it will last. Can you tell from these pictures if I have what you are calling the "black" board? What are mechanical fasteners?

JD
Site Admin

This is not the "buffalo board" black fibered board I was referring to. You are right, it is an asphalt impregnated paper with a polyester scrim. I use the spray adhesive on this type of material. We used to get this material years ago. It came in 13' long rolls about 24" - 30" diameter. Weighs a "ton" (not literally) on the roll. We had to make special rolling boxes to handle it in the shop.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.