Outside electric panel repair

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:09 pm

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:48 am

We own but we rent our lot. Our outside electric panel is shot. Maintenance said they're responsible for fixing it since they own the property and we rent it, great! Well for over a month we have been fighting to get their electrician out. First was to install a ground wire, maintenance did it but the electrician was supposed to check it and the panel. Never showed up. Tuesday the electrician was supposed to show up again, never did. I waited all day with no AC in the heat with a diabetic 2 year old. Now they're on vacation. Can I request they find someone else to come replace the panel box? I've had no fridge or AC because of this issue for over a month.

User avatar
Posts: 5673
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Weedsport, NY

Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:45 pm

I think I would give them the choice of taking care of the problem or you will call and have it taken care of and send them the bill.

"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."

Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:33 am
Location: Anna, Tx

Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:02 am

If worse gets to worse - you can always call the city (health and human services). Certain components MUST be in good working order for a house to be considered inhabitable. Of course, bear in mind doing so might unhinge the owner and they simply declare the property is no longer for rent.....
Opportunity has a shelf life.

David DeBord
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:01 pm

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:16 am


Since You are "renting" the lot, .... The Owner, by Law is Responsible for the Upkeep/ Service of Your Electrical Service.

I'm not sure what State it is that You live in, but, there are several things that you can do:

Find out "If" the "Land Lord/ Tenant Agreement Act" is enforced in your State, & if it is, get a copy, & it will give you specific Instructions on the procedure required in how to address this Situation.

Send, in writing, (& have copies,), Certified Service, with Return Receipt, A Notarized letter outlining in reasonable detail, what happened with your Electric, what has been done, & what you wish to happen.

"If", Your Land Lord Retaliates & threatens Eviction, there are several protections in the Legal System & "If" your State honors the "Land Lord-Tenant Agreement Act", there is no way, that You can be "Forced to Move", without a Court Order.

You can also "Go Public", via "the Net", Newspaper/ TV/ Radio, & "Raise a little Hell", but, .... Whatever You Say, Absolutely must be Truthful, & Documented, otherwise you will open the door to being Sued for Slander & "Defamation of Character".