Mounting Ceiling Fan

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jonesmw10

Hey all!

Hopefully this is posted in the right spot. I'm a relatively new owner of a 97 doublewide that I was looking to upgrade the ceiling fans in. Upgraded our living room fan without a hitch, but hit a roadblock in one of our bedrooms. 2 of the bedrooms have flush mount fans. Upon taking them down, they were held up with an electrical box that only supports 15 lbs.. The boxes themselves are screwed into the sheetrock, which also has a half inch of plywood above it. Is this normal? My question is, can I upgrade to a heavier duty box and just secure it to the sheetrock and plywood? I located the trusses, but they 're too high up to use the metal bar supports they sell at lowes, etc. The new fan is definitely heavier than the old... Thanks in advance!
Greg

I would think that upgrading boxes and anchoring into the plywood should be fine.
After you get it mounted try putting weight on it and see how it feels. I used to be able to support my weight on the box in the living room.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Joe Freeman

Although I've never had to use them. I've seem a contraption that acts like a brace mounts between the ceiling beams and is a good anchor for heavy fans and light fixtures. My biggest fear was always the fan falling. I tend to overbuild sometimes
The problem is not the problem; the problem , is your attitude towards the problem.