I am thinking of switching to a gas water heater

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

deryk the gypsy

Hello folks!

My mobile home is my for now weekend place...plan for it to be my retirement home one day. I currently have a http://www.supplyhouse.com/Bradford-Whi ... ter-Heater under counter model have about 30" of working space. I also have 60 amp electrical service so that limits my choices.

The water heater is kind of an energy pig...spent 2.5 weeks up here and my energy bill went up about $50 dollars. Spoke with my power company and they saw the increase every evening basically when I turned it on for a few hours to shower. They told me leaving it on the whole time I am up here would save money. Tried that last month, the bill went up a few dollars more. So I am thinking of options.

I would like to switch to gas, possibly an on demand unit. I have had the suggestion to switch to 200 amp electical service...might be able to get a more efficient unit but big outllay of money and still limited to a small unit because it's a small mobile home so don't really have another place to locate it to.

I did give thought to this http://www.dyersonline.com/suburban-16- ... sw16d.html 3 gallons less in size but would fit after I cut a whole to the outside wall. Currently to get to my water heater I need to disconnect the propene line to the stove move the stove take a panel off to access the area for the water heater.

any suggestions
Greg

It sounds like you are in one of those spots that are going to cost money no matter what you do. You are going to need to figure total operating costs both ways. If just using the hot water is costing you $25/wk. than switching units is a no brainer. You will need to figure the propane prices also in addition to the cost of the heater. If you are planning on using it as a retirement home you may want to consider the future needs into the equation also.
This is just one of those situations that is going to cost money no matter what you do.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."