Bathroom Sink Supply Line Help

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

simpleword

Slowly going through and repairing all the stuff that's going to hell in my mobile (grandmother left it to me, just moved in to get it up to snuff) and 2 of the 3 bathroom sinks have leaks where the supply line meets the sink and they need to be replaced. I can't figure out what the heck kind of connection it is. Can anyone clue me in? Pic attached of the shutoff valves, figured this would be enough to determine.
sink-faucet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
simpleword

Ok so I've done a little more digging and I've found out that I basically need to use a polybutylene to pex connector. This all seems straightforward enough but I can't figure out what size adapter I need and what size pex line I need and how it connects to the sink. The PB in the picture shows 5/8" outside diameter, should I assume it's 1/2" inside diameter and buy something like this along with the appropriate shutoff valves?

https://www.amazon.com/SharkBite-UC4008 ... pter+5%2F8

I guess my only remaining question would be how does the pex attach to the sink?
Joe Freeman

hello. I,ve used shark bite type of connections many times with no problems , but the best way is to crimp type fitting. the grey pipe had big issues with leaking. depending on how much you have to do. upgrading to pex would be a good idea. many here would agree and probably give you more info. I'm about to do the same to my home. replace the water valves, plastic valves I don't trust. { brass ball valves are what many here would suggest} shark bite type fittings also make ball type valves that allow you to connect the water supply to the faucet. useing a normal type 3/8 supply hose. I use the stainless steel braided lines myself, comes in several lengths and pretty flexable. any connection under the house I would use the crimp style clamps. these things worked for me in the past. and are still holding up. p.s. I apologize for my spelling heh heh.
The problem is not the problem; the problem , is your attitude towards the problem.
simpleword

Thanks Joe I really appreciate it. I'm still a bit confused about how I go from the pex to the braided stainless lines, is there an adapter that is pex on one side and threaded on the other?

I made a diagram of my proposed solution, at least until I can replace all the PB in the house with Pex. Someone please let me know if this proposed solution is the way to go or if I'm missing something.

Thanks!
sink-repair.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

Looks right to me. You will need to go to a REAL hardware store or plumbing supply to get the PB/PEX adapters since the big box stores will most likely have no idea of what you are talking about.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Joe Freeman

Like Greg said you should go to a Real hard ware store. Look for a adapter with threaded end or may be a valve with a thead end and a nipple on the other to clamp onto the pex.
The problem is not the problem; the problem , is your attitude towards the problem.