New Deck and Porch coming (photos included)

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

vilmel2vilmel2

I cannot tell you how happy I am to have found this message board!

We have a 2002 double wide (white with blue trim) that we are going to build a porch deck and roof for. My husband and I are doing this with our own hands and are very excited!

I have included a photo of our MH now and another photo of what we want it to look like.

My plan is to build the deck and roof separate from the MH. I will only join the roof shingles for looks. We are digging and pouring concrete footers and embedding post hardware instead of submerging the posts. I am following all building code in my area also. We want this to last! 8)

Please share with me any and all advice if you have ever done a project like this. Please share with me any mistakes or obstacles you hit or something you wish you would have done.

Thanks so much,

Melissa :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

Since you didn't give a location frost heave may or may not come into play so keep that in mind. If it does freeze you may want to set up the roof of the porch the same way the home is supported that way the deck would be able to float without damaging the roof of the home.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
vilmel2vilmel2

Thank you! Sorry about that. I am in South Texas.

Greg, how the heck do I attach the new pitched roof porch to the existing pitched roof gable?

My MH has blue trim boards (facia). How do I know what what I am framing to is structural and not decoration? I know the deck gets attached via ledger board along the existing house rim joist. But what about the roof?
Greg

To do it right, you are going to have to peal back the roof of the existing dormer, tie into that and continue the same lines over the new porch.
It sounds more complicated than it is. It should end up looking close the picture of what you want.
You can google "tying in a porch roof to a house" and have lots of ideas.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
vilmel2vilmel2

Thank you! Googling that now