Replacing Siding -- What Is This??

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

MandMLawson

I want to tear down the current exterior and put up siding. I'm calculating the expense so I'm trying to account for all things.

In the attached image, there is what looks like a 10" board that runs around the top of the house. The gutter is in front of it. Is this board for aesthetics or is it functional in some way? It matches the 10" board that is at the bottom of the house that the skirting is mounted to, but the one at the top has a thin board behind it, so it sits out from the house maybe 1/2". The spacer board between it and the siding appears to be continuous (no gaps), so I don't feel the top board is for any kind of ventilation.

Since the exterior goes up behind this, I need to account for what needs to be done at the top once the siding goes up.

Thanks
Board.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

I would say they are trim boards.
What are you putting up to replace it? If you are doing vinyl siding you may want to leave up what you have and use it as sheathing.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
MandMLawson

Greg wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:44 pmWhat are you putting up to replace it?
Vinyl siding.
Greg wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:44 pmIf you are doing vinyl siding you may want to leave up what you have and use it as sheathing.
I considered it but some are not it the best shape and I want to see how things look underneath.
Jim from Canada

Looks to me to be a frieze board. A decorative element.

It seems my first post didn't go, so if this is a duplicate just ignore it.