Mobile Home Walls

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

TomAllyn

I am considering making an offer on an MH that has a permanent foundation in a park it would be my first MH. In the particular park, all of the homes are on permanent foundations. The dealer that is helping the owner has been selling MH's for many years and he says he is almost positive the walls are drywall. I'm not convinced. They seem to thin to be drywall and they are painted they but they have lines running vertically down the panels approximately every 36". The dealer suggests they may be poorly taped.

From my description can any of you give me an idea of what kind of walls they are? By the way it was built in 1989 and the make is supposedly a company called Sandalwood that I am unable to find information on.

Thank you all in advance.

~Tom
Greg

The majority of mobiles have either 3/8" or 5/16" vinyl covered sheetrock with cover strips at the seams. You can pull a switch cover or outlet to see what the material is. Older homes did use wood paneling but again by pulling a cover you can tell.

There is a sticky post by Yanita near the top of the list that gives you things to look for when buying a used home.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
TomAllyn

Thank you for the reply. In this instance, the "seams" do not have a batten strip as the vertical lines down the wall are indented similar to paneling only the lines are approximately 36" apart. They panels are already painted in gray that I can only describe as looking dead. I'm not sure the "deadness" is due to the age of paint or something else.

I decided to go forward with making an offer and my offer was accepted. So now it is in escrow. I have permanent nerve damage so I'll be hiring a local contractor that specializes in MH's to update the interior and to replace the existing kitchen cabinets. I'll be getting the home for a very good price and I'm downsizing from a condo. So I'll have money to invest in updating this home to my liking.
chadomac

They more than likely removed the batten strips and tried to tape the seams then paint the walls. they are cracking where they taped over the VOG board just my thoughts
TomAllyn

chadomac wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:56 pm They more than likely removed the batten strips and tried to tape the seams then paint the walls. they are cracking where they taped over the VOG board just my thoughts
I was thinking something like this. If the walls have already been painted can a person us mud to fill the joints and can the walls be textured with mud and a texture roller?
Joe Freeman

Adhesion is the key. If the walls are painted the paint may lift off. Might think of panel over it. I paneled one of my liveing room walls with simulated brick panels. A few patterns and colors to choose.more costly than mud but easier to keep clean
The problem is not the problem; the problem , is your attitude towards the problem.