Bathtub install & plumbing

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

memorymomma

I'm back again, and still working on my master bathroom. My other topic is locked so it looks like I'm going to start a new one. I have since cut the tub out and cut an access hole in my wall into my spare room. It appears that I might be able to get a 5 foot tub in that same spot of the tub I removed. My question to all you wonderful people is
1) what is the best brand or style of tub to install into a 1990 manufactured home?
2), I only have 2 1/2 inches of wall space between my tablet and my spare room. Is there any special plumbing issues I need to be concerned with installing the faucet?

Thank you in advance for all of your help. I seriously could not do this without all the wonderful advice posted on this bulletin board. Thank you so much!
yakima4$

I would install a Kohler cast-iron tub with a Moen tub shower valve.
Then install a man made material on the walls such as Marbleque.
Of course you would need to install 3/8 plywood on walls before the man made wall finish goes on.
Post picture when done.
Greg

Any time you (or anyone else) want your topic unlocked, just drop an email and I will unlock it for you. The reason we lock them is because many times a topic will lie dormant for months or even years and the problem is usually solved or answered. usually a new member sees them and starts answering posts that could be years old.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
memorymomma

Sorry for the delay, end of the school year craziness . I'm still in the midst of researching what I want. I know you recommend a cast-iron but it is so incredibly heavy. I worry as my floor is level currently but I have had to go out and relevel my mobile home a couple times. Looking at acrylic and cast iron there are different styles of installs. I'm concerned about the ones that recommend you use concrete. I've never seen an install done with concrete before and again I worry about the movement of the home itself. Any advice is always appreciated and I'm graciously thankful.
Greg

Personally I would not put a tub back in. I would go with a shower, as large as you can fit. Much easier to work with and get into position than trying to maneuver a full size tub through how many small doors and corners?

Greg
memorymomma

I would, but I'm a bath taker :). I'll probably do that with my second bathroom which has a smaller space. What are your thoughts on the concrete bathtub set and the possibility of future floor movement?
Greg

Can you give me some more info?
park or own land?
What type of support does your home have? stacked blocks? cement piers? concrete pad? These are things to consider if you are thinking about adding that much weight.
How much room do you have to maneuver a tub into the bathroom? Hallways and odd tight corners can stop a project dead. If you can make a cardboard box the same size as the tub, and see if you can get that into the bathroom.

I think I would look at a jetted tub before a concrete tub, lighter and better for relaxing. Not sure about pricing since I have never priced a concrete tub, but I would think you may have problems warming them up in the winter. A 1/4" of fiberglass warms faster than an inch of concrete.

Make sure you do your homework and read lots of reviews before you make a decision.

Greg