Fireplace Questions

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ChuckInTX

Hello, all. I'm glad to find a specific community to draw on for help, and maybe someday I can return the favor.

I have a 2004 single-wide I would like to do some remodeling to. In a corner of the living room, I have a factory Temco wood-burning fireplace with fan. It has what seems a modular manufactured stone panel and hearth. Hopefully, I can attach a picture.

The hearth is probably ~10" high and might be separate.

The issue is the fireplace has paneling facing the wall with the stone overlay. All the rest of the walls in the living room are vinyl-coated drywall. I'd like to have all walls look the same and still want the fireplace. Does anybody know how these stone facings are constructed/applied? I'd like to simply remove it and change out the lauan paneling to something else and hopefully set the stone panel back. Thanks in advance.
ChuckInTX

I figured it out on the panel. It is in fact a pre-fab panel and not something constructed.

It's pretty clever; there are six long wood screws hidden in the mortar joints in line with the batten in the paneling above the mantel. They were further camouflaged with drywall mud. Not sure about the hearth, as I see no fasteners. I'm guessing there's a 2X4 frame fastened to the floor and the hearth slips over it. Might be something hidden at the floor by the carpet.

Thanks, all, for looking.